It happens: People accidentally drop things from docks, off boats or even while scuba diving. If you’ve ever lost something in the water and wanted to go find it, then the PADI Search and Recovery Diver Specialty course is for you. There are effective ways to search for objects underwater that increase your chances of success. And there are good and better methods to bring up small, large or just awkward items. Search and recovery can be challenging, but a whole lot of fun.
PADI Advanced Open Water Divers who are at least 12 years old can enroll in the Search and Recovery Diver course. PADI Open Water Divers with a PADI Underwater Navigator certification also qualify.
During four scuba dives you’ll practice:
- Gathering information and resources, then carefully planning a search.
- Swimming search patterns using your compass and natural navigation.
- Locating large and small objects using various search patterns.
- Using a lift bag for large or heavy objects, plus other recovery methods.
- Planning a search operation based on facts gathered about a lost object prior to the dive.
Besides your basic scuba equipment, you’ll need a compass and underwater slate. We may also suggest other gear that may help with your searches, such as a dive light, marker buoys, lines and reels.